Sunday, September 18, 2011

First Graders Learn the I-Care Rules

First graders are learning about friendship and conflict resolution in class councils with Mrs. Lallier.  We will spend six weeks exploring the I-Care Rules, with the help of I-Care Cat, a perennially favorite puppet. The kids will each make their own copy of "My I-Care Rules" book to bring home.  The I-Care Rules are:
  1. We listen to each other.
  2. Hands are for helping, not hurting.
  3. We use I-Care Language
  4. We care about each others' feelings.
  5. We are responsible for what we say and do.
You may notice that rules #4 and #5 are two of our three DBS expectations. Yes, that's right, I-Care Cat is so influential around here that the DBS staff used some of his ideas when we developed our expectations in 1999, long before the current first graders were even born!

First grade class councils are on Mondays in both Mrs. Burriss' and Mrs. Thorburn's classes.  Last week we played a listening game and then made the first page of our books.  This week the kids will practice ways to use their hands for helping and will make page two of their "My I-Care Rules" books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment